SEVENTEEN recently stirred up buzz again on social media with an old backstage moment
As 2023 approaches its end, SEVENTEEN is busy with their jam-packed schedule – from the tour “Follow” to different award ceremonies. Naturally, the online discussions about SEVENTEEN have skyrocketed, especially following the success of their 11th mini album, Seventeenth Heaven.
Recently, a backstage moment of SEVENTEEN from nearly three years ago suddenly resurfaced on Korean social media, going viral.
In a backstage interview of SEVENTEEN’s 2021 promotion for “Anyone,” members Mingyu and Wonwoo did a hand gesture which seemed like they could be easily misinterpreted and might rub some Korean men the wrong way.
But it was just some playful teasing directed at Mingyu by other SEVENTEEN members and didn’t carry any meaning behind. However, with the scrutiny of the Korean public, anything related to gender can become a sensitive subject. Multiple girl group members have faced backlash from Korean men for doing the same hand gesture.
Korean netizens left comments on the viral SEVENTEEN’s video:
- Vernon’s look is so funny
- SEVENTEEN, you crack us up every time.
- Successful guys don’t waste time getting offended over a little hand gesture.
- Handsome men living their best lives are on a whole different level than the Hannams
- Certified real men.
- Young and rich men
- SEVENTEEN probably didn’t even think twice about these gestures.
- If you see a good-looking and goofy group, it’s definitely SEVENTEEN
- Most of SEVENTEEN’s songs don’t specify gender; they use terms that include everyone
- Fun fact: When this video first dropped, they got hate from some men, but they shut up pretty quick. SEVENTEEN even did a concert during Pride Month and decked out in rainbow colors.